The Ellis Island Immigrant Hospital, which opened in 1902, was a state-of-the-art facility designed to treat and protect immigrants from various diseases. It had advanced features such as an autopsy theater, laboratories, and a large autoclave for sterilization. Despite some flaws, patients received humane treatment, and many recovered and became American citizens. The hospital closed in 1930 due to xenophobic immigration policies. Restoration efforts are underway through Save Ellis Island.